Saturday, March 20, 2010

Scarcely can I recall an occasion when I needed a day of rest as sorely as I needed today. I woke up this morning exhausted and achy, feeling progressively better throughout, but I am still weary down to my bones. I should have died without today's respite.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Jay Unger, et al., "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" from The Civil War: Original Soundtrack Recording (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The 12 Hours of Sebring was grand, but during the commercials I wandered through the other offers, as is my habit. On one such jaunt I happened upon Stalag 17 on Turner Classic Movies; Stalag 17 is one of my favorite films, and I tuned in just as the men embarked upon their exuberant rendition of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." Thus, despite having seen The Aquabats! & Mustard Plug in concert on Thursday and The Loose Ties last night, today's R.B.D.S.O.T.D is not a ska song.

Also, the proper lyric at the conclusion of each verse of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" is "We'll all feel gay when Johnny comes marching home!" Beware of homophobic mutilations of the song that render that last line as "We'll cheer the day when Johnny comes marching home!" There are times when I do not know which facet of homophobia is more offensive, the naked bigotry or the enthusiastic ignorance.

No comments: