Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Girls of September '79
Back in the third or fourth grade, Mrs. Blinky (née Ham 'n' Eggs) & her confederate, L.L.*, spent nearly every recess chasing me around the playground chanting "Oh, Mr. Wiiiiiiilllson!" after the style of Dennis the Menace of Dennis the Menace. I have no idea what horrors I thought might befall me should they catch me, but I did my utmost to avoid, evade, & elude their pursuit. About what else should I write on the thirty-first birthday of a girl I've known since elementary school, but to whom I have not spoken in an age? Happy birthday, Emma!

*At the time, I was too young to realize she must have mistakenly wandered out of a Superman comic. And she must have, because what other explanation could there be for a name that fit in so seamlessly with Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Lori Lemaris, and so many others? Heck, even Superman's Kryptonian name, Kal-El, was originally rendered as Kal-L. Mrs. Blinky's L.L. must have wandered out of an issue of Action Comics or The Adventures of Superman, because back then John Byrne's new Superman hadn't yet acquired a cavalcade of supporting characters.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Clash at Demonhead, "Black Sheep" via YouTube (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Yes, The Clash at Demonhead, not Metric, because the vocals are by Brie Larson (playing Envy Adams), not Metric's Emily Haines. R.B.D.S.O.T.D.-link.

No comments: