Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy (Belated) Birthday!
Sincerest apologies to Doctor Hee Haw for overlooking his birthday this past Saturday, 4 September. The funniest conversation of my life I had with the good doctor, a fact I've mentioned before because it truly was the funniest conversation I've yet had. If I am ever party to a funnier conversation, I might well die laughing. I enjoyed my trio of lunches with Doc Hee Haw over the spring & summer, I wish him all success in his new home in benighted Florida, and I look forward to seeing him upon his next visit to sacred Michigan. I do hope he accepts my apologies for the tardiness of these well wishes. Happy birthday, Seth!

We now commence a month-long series within "The Explorers Club," exploring the fascinating world of espionage: spies & spymasters, statesmen & saboteurs, secrecy & scandal.

The Explorers Club
No. CLXXXVI - Sidney Reilly (circa 1873-1925), the "Ace of Spies."









Bonus: Reilly met his demise thanks in part to the machinations of "Iron Felix" Dzerzhinsky (1877-1926), subject of episode No. II of "The Explorers Club" (though marked at the time as "Question No. 2," the Roman numerals & episodic parlance having then been not yet devised). Wayback Machine.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Hey Monday, "Mr. Pushover" from the Beneath It All E.P. (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: Lyrics so awful that they're awesome or so awful that they're just awful? Either way, there's no denying that the following lyrics awful, and that I like them anyway:

"The haters are hating,
They're haters, they hate me.
Lovers are loving,
But lovers they hate me, too."


Dienstag, 7 September
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Sad Silence" from Question the Answers (The Last Angry Man)

1 comment:

Dr. Hee Haw said...

Apology definitely accepted. Thank you for thinking of me, and I hope you accept my apology for my late response. Hope all is well.