Monday, March 28, 2011

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "You Left Right?" from Pin Points and Gin Joints (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Musically, "You Left Right?" is energetic, peppy even. Lyrically, well, the lyrics contain the words "I search and seek, it's pretty bleak." So much of what I love about ska, especially third wave ska, is the juxtaposition of joy & despair; it's not just Reel Big Fish, all the bands are like that.

"Are you regretful? Are ya?
Are you remorseful? Are ya?
Are you successful? Or are ya
Just tryin' to make it through?
Did your whole world just shatter?
Are you happy or sadder?
Does it really matter?
Did I matter to you?

And did I ever matter to you?"


Sonntag, 27 März
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "The Route That I Took" from Pin Points and Gin Joints (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"Without really knowing I took all the wrong routes,
A misguided monster in the Doc Marten boots,
In the wrong directions, against all of the grains,
Got off at all the wrong stops, back on to all the wrong trains…"

No comments: