Saturday, June 11, 2011

24 Heures du Mans | 12:45:00
We're coming up on the halfway mark of the Grand Prix of Endurance. The dawn is coming, yet is still hours distant, & even when it arrives it proves to be one of Le Mans's cruelest tricks—the dawn provides relief from the dark of night, but does not presage the end of the race, which is still hours & hours distant. This is always such a weird, weird day for me, now in its third iteration (& the second time I've attempted the whole twenty-four hours).

Update: Audi driver & 2010 Le Mans winner Mike "Rocky" Rockenfeller is reported to be "okay," & is being held in hospital overnight for surety's sake. Whew! That's quite a relief. Let us hope that the remaining twelve-plus hours of this great race won't hold any more of the type of excitement that befell the № 3 Audi of the Scottish terrier McNish & the № 1 Audi of Rocky.

Current leaders: I'm not sure, I just rejoined the action after eating dinner & washing the dishes.

Project GLOWWORM
My mom said, her tone preparing me for unpleasant news, "I want to tell you something." She continued after a pause, "I don't like your moustache, not the way it curves upward like that." I love my mother dearly, but we rarely see eye to eye: the upward curve is precisely what I love most about my moustache. If I didn't have a handlebar moustache I'd have some variation of a pencil moustache, which I doubt she'd like any better. A Magnum, P.I.-style moustache such as my father sported for better than three decades does not interest me.



To paraphrase the Eleventh Doctor: "I wear a moustache now. Moustaches are cool."

No comments: