Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Explorers Club
№ CCXLVI - Orpheus, amongst many other exploits & achievements the husband of the nymph Eurydice.







Wilson
The kitchen ceiling looks like new & all is now back to normal on the ground floor. There are signs that work is resuming on the upstairs water closet; so, at the peril of jinxing the endeavour, it looks like the final push is close at hand. It seems like such a long time since Mom was grinding away the wallpaper with that odd-looking tool, the beginning of a bout of home improvement work no one imagined would take as long as it has—& might yet. From whence did I learn to procrastinate? To quote the most recognizable public service announcement of my generation, "You, Dad! I learned it from watching you." The challenge of my remaining twenty-eight years is to rise above the standards set by my childhood hero, to set forth for my future children a new & more virtuous model for imitation. (My intent it not to blame my father for my many failings, merely to explain the context in which I fostered the habits of misadventure.) But I digress. We start preparing the W.C. for work upon the morrow.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Fountains of Wayne, "Acela" from Sky Full of Holes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: A few words on Fountains of Wayne's album titles. The band has one self-titled album, their debut; two albums named after songs, Utopia Parkway & Traffic and Weather; & a fourth album with a title only indirectly related to the songs, Welcome Interstate Managers. The new album, Sky Full of Holes, is not named after a song, but the words "sky full of holes" are amongst the lyrics to the song "Cemetery Guns."

Back to the song at hand, "Acela." I have ridden the Acela line, from the District of Columbia's Union Station. Alas, I was not on my way to a ladylove:

"Got to get the next Acela,
Got to get myself back home to you."

No comments: