Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Project PANDORA
I have been using an online dating website, OKCupid.com, recommended to me by a pal. I've belonged to the website's community since late 2010 or sometime in '11, but only this past spring did I begin using it in earnest. I've been exchanging flirtatious missives with two girls since June or July (their code names derived from their website user names), Miss Mozart & The Bagel. Miss Mozart suggested an exchange of telephone numbers in late July & since then we've spoken via mobile 'phone, not email. We have in principle made a date for this weekend (roughly 7-8 September), & I am to ring her tonight to work out the details. She lives in Ypsilanti; so, I will be taking the opportunity both to woo her & to revisit my old haunts in Ann Arbor. The Bagel & I have kept our discourse on the website, which suits me just fine as I've never been much of a fan of the 'phone. We have in principle made a date for next weekend (14-15 September), again in Ann Arbor as The Bagel lives in Warren & is a frequent visitor to "Moscow on the Huron." Miss Mozart asked if I was regularly communicating with any other girls through the website & I did not hesitate to say, "Yes;" she seems quite smitten with your humble narrator. There isn't quite the same kind of connection with The Bagel, as we exchange brief e-mails, nor epic nineteenth century love letters. (There are few things I'd like more than to meet a girl with whom I could exchange epic nineteenth century love letters.) My scattergun approach of e-mailing numerous girls fell by the wayside through August's doldrums, but I must make a note to pick up the pace, since it was that scattergun approach that "bagged" both Miss Mozart & The Bagel. It matters not if neither date pans out on its own merits, but will provide valuable data for Project PANDORA just by happening. PANDORA needs data!

The most unpleasant experience I've had whilst using the online dating website was opening up an email of suggestions of users I might wish to contact & finding my old paramour, The Interpreter, amongst the nominees. Egad! A closer look revealed that these were not users to whom I'd been "matched" by the online dating website, but simply new users in my area. Whew! I sent her a text message about our 14% match, to preempt any contact from her on the same subject.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
David Gray, "Kathleen" courtesy The Watergirl (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I've had a song stuck in my head all day, but my efforts to identify it have so far come to naught. It isn't "Kathleen," but she'll more than suffice as the R.B.D.S.O.T.D.

No comments: