Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
The Pietasters, "Something Better" from Oolooloo (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: These last two songs have been paragons of what I wish the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. to be, songs selected almost randomly, without forethought or scheming, simply because upon being heard they sounded "right"—captured a certain something of & about that moment in time. I love our series like SKApril, the Hallowe'en music festival, & the secular/sacred dichotomy before & during the Christmastide, but for the bulk of the year I wish the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. to be spontaneous. Sometimes 'tis, sometimes 'tis not. Yesterday & today, 'twas & 'tis, & my countenance is marked by a broad, persistent grin.

Mittwoch, 6 Januar
Le PigBat, "Monsieur Hyde" from The Aquabats! and Horchata Records Present Rice Capades Music Sampler, Vol. 1 (Captain Thumbs-up)

Commentary: Le PigBat, A.K.A. The Pigbat, is an ally of The Aquabats! I recall, though I cannot cite my source, encountering a description of The Pigbat as The Aquabats'! attorney. The lyrics of "Monsieur Hyde" are in both English & French, & as I do not speak French this poses a problem of interpretation, but the general thrust of the song is that the female chorus great M. Hyde as "Dr. Jekyll" & M. Hyde denies being Dr. Jekyll.

"(Hello, Doctor Jekyll,)
Non je n' suis pas le Docteur Jekyll,
(Hello, Doctor Jekyll,)
Mon nom est Hyde, Mister Hyde…"

And it goes on like that.

No comments: