Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Project GLOWWORM

Cosmo Kramer's phrase, "unbridled enthusiasm," is a constant peril to the bewhiskered gentleman. With the advent of generally cooler weather, & an increasingly dissatisfaction over the summer with the unfortunate aesthetic consequences of excessive trimming, I'd let my beard grow longer than usual. Constant pruning was required to tame rogue hairs & overly long hairs that had managed to hide amidst their shorter brethren, but overall my whiskers grew & grew. My beard was the longest it had been since the untamed growth of the Banzai Beard Bonanza II: Bonsai's Revenge, over three years ago. Prudence prompted a slight trim, especially of the goatee (those whiskers about the chin), which was nearing the cliff over which it would have taken on a wild, unkempt appearance. A snip here of my dedicated hair scissors, a snip there, another snip here to even things out & restore symmetry, & before I knew what had happened I had gone farther than I'd planned, much farther. Enthusiasm, once unbridled, waste no time in making mischief. My whiskers are now shorter than I'd intended, shorter than I'd like, yet not even close to the excessive shortness of the summer's misguided trims. Live & learn. It is imperative for the bewhiskered gentleman to grasp firmly the bridle of his enthusiasm.

The Queue
Speaking of unbridled enthusiasm, I think I should like to have read Billy Mumphrey, " a story about love, deception, greed, lust, &... unbridled enthusiasm!" One jacket blurb read, "You see, Elaine, Billy was a simple country boy, you might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy & international intrigue."

No comments: