Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, "Devil's Night Out" (live) from Live from the Middle East (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I started thinking about "Devil's Night Out" last night, as I made my way home from catechism class. Thoughts unworthy of a Christian? Methinks not. One, the song is meant as fun, as recreation, not as serious theology. Two, despite being called, & pray pardon the language, "that evil motherfucker," "the Devil" in "Devil's Night Out" is clearly not the actual Devil but a frivolous, cartoon caricature of a devil. As was so eloquently expressed on Sports Night, "You've got to learn to separate the stuff from the stuff."

"…But the Devil is back, so girls, dry your tears.

"In his favorite club, in his favorite seat,
I saw the Devil, wingtip shoes on his feet,
Porkpie hat on his head, he was digging the beat,
And the band ripped like demons when he screamed, 'Turn up the heat!'

"The Devil was drinking and dancing up a storm,
The band was so hot my beer got warm,
Just when I thought it would all cool down,
That evil motherfucker screamed, 'Burn this place down!'"

No comments: