Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Rebel Black D.O.T. Song of the Day
The Aquabats!, "Yo, Check Out This Ride!" from the Yo, Check Out This Ride! E.P. (Captain Thumbs Up!)

Commentary: Ska Army & I toured the North American International Auto Show in Detroit's Cobo Center yesterday. ("Cobo Center" looks & sounds odd, as I'm accustomed to the facilities old name, Cobo Hall.) This was our third annual tour, meaning the tradition is now well-established. A "Project MERCATOR" report is due soonest. I considered They Might Be Giants's "Birdhouse in Your Soul" & the Reel Big Fish's "The Set Up (You Need This)," both of which we blasted from various motorcars' sound systems as Ska Army paired up his smartphone with those cars' Bluetooth systems, but "Yo, Check Out This Ride!" better encapsulated the day, especially the Jersey Shore wannabes we encountered toward the end of the day, when the line to sit in the cockpit of the Corvette Stingray had shrunk to an acceptably diminutive length. Sweet merciful crap, I want a Stingray!

"I bought a '91 Celica and lowered the back.
I dropped some deuce with some juice on the front of my gat,
And I ain't braggin', my back is draggin',
I got this fresh whale tail on my lowered, covered wagon.
You peeps is gettin' panic attacks
When I roll through Iraq,
With a sack of fat stacks
And an airbrush of Shaq
On my Cizzadillac,
And you know it's hard!
I've got a haunted house black light under my car,
And it's freaking people out, dog!

"This car—I'm drivin'!
This vehicle that I ride in,
So hot, (so hot), so stylin',
Makin' all the ladies we pass start cryin',
'Yo, yo do you want to take a ride?
Let's go, baby!'
No, she doesn't want to get inside,
You better check out this ride!
Yo, check out this ride!…"

No comments: