Monday, August 10, 2015

Project BLACK MAMBA

9 August was the Nineteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time.

Otherwise, we would have remembered Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, O.C.D. (1891-1942, A.K.A. Edith Stein), patroness of Europe, martyred under the Führer Adolf Hitler: Martyr-link ūna, Martyr-link duae, & Wikipedia-link.

Scripture of the Day (Sunday)
Personal Reading
The Second Letter to the Corinthians, chapter ten.

Mass Readings
The First Book of Kings, chapter nineteen, verses four thru eight;
Psalm Thirty-four, verses two thru nine;
The Letter to the Ephesians, chapter four, verse thirty thru chapter five, verse two;
The Gospel according to John, chapter six, verses forty-one thru fifty-one.

* * * * *

Today is the Feast of Saint Lawrence, Deacon & Martyr (c. 225-258) martyred under the Emperor Valerian mere days after Pope Saint Sixtus II & his companions: Martyr-link ūnus, Martyr-link duo, & Wikipedia-link.

Commentary: Quoth the bulletin:
When order by Emperor Valerian in 258 to give up the Church's treasures, he presented the poor, the crippled, the blind, & the suffering, saying these were the true treasures of the Church. He declared to the prefect, "The Church is truly rich, far richer than your emperor." This act of defiance led directly to his martyrdom.
Scripture of the Day (Today)
Personal Reading
The Second Letter to the Corinthians, chapter eleven.

Mass Readings
The Second Letter to the Corinthians, chapter nine, verses six thru ten;
Psalm One Hundred Twelve, verses one & two, five thru nine;
The Gospel according to John, chapter twelve, verses twenty-four thru twenty-six.

* * * * *

Mass Journal: Week 33
Reflection by Matthew Kelly of the Dynamic Catholic Institute
I believe there is a direct relationship between happiness & holiness. This was my first serious observation of the Christian life as a teenager. I must also confess it was the reason I first began to explore Catholicism seriously. As simple as it may sound, I was aware of my yearning for happiness. I had tried to satisfy this yearning in other ways & had been left wanting. I had witnessed a peace & purpose in the lives of a handful of people I knew who were striving to live their faith, & I knew they had something I was yearning for. God calls each of us to holiness. He invites us to be truly ourselves. This call to holiness is in response to our deepest desire for happiness. We cry out to God, saying, "Show us how to find the happiness our hearts are hungry for," & God replies, "Walk with Me, be all I created you to be, become (sic) the-best-version-of-yourself." It is a natural & logical conclusion that we will never find happiness if we are not ourselves.
Commentary: I doubt the Maker of Heaven & Earth would commit such a grammatical atrocity as Mr. Kelly's nonsensical "the-best-version-of-yourself." I can already sense your objection & no, I won't just let it go.

No comments: