Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day

Fountains of Wayne, "Hate to See You Like This" from Sky Full of Holes (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary: Though "Hate to See You Like This" is addressed a girl, today's R.B.D.S.O.T.D. is dedicated to my father, who has spent most of the summer being even lazier & more disheveled than usual, going weeks on end without shaving all while denying that he's trying to grow a beard. The center of his universe is his widescreen television & the attendant D.V.R. He watches television all day every day, I suspect & fear not so much in search of entertainment as in search of distraction, diversion, escape. He has no relationship with the Lord, he has few friends (& is seldom in contact with those he does have), & goes out of his way to alienate & frustrate his family. This morning, he shaved & showered. This is at the very least a hopeful sign.
"Come on, girl, you're not even trying:
Your place is a mess and all your plants are dying,
You're lying around in those sweatpants,
You're staring off into the distance…

"Come on, girl, let's pull it together,
You can't just watch infomercials forever.
If you need a hand, why don't you take mine?
Let's get you out into the sunshine…
I hate to see you like this,
I hate to see you like this,
I hate to see you like this."

Montag, 17. August
Fountains of Wayne, "Acela" from Sky Full of Holes (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary:
"There's a girl on the train
Beating on a window pane,
Reading
People magazine
Just to help turn off her brain,
And I swear I caught her staring at me—
Maybe I've been staring at her, too…"

No comments: