Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Lord's Day

Cake, "Hem of Your Garment" from Prolonging the Magic (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: I cannot speak knowledgeably to the band Cake's objective in penning "Hem of Your Garment," but just as an exercise, let us take those lyrics at face value. They speak of a soul that recognizes its fallen state, a sinner on the cusp of right relationship with the Lord God.
"I am intrinsically no good,
I have a heart that's made of wood,
And I am only biding time,
Only reciting memorized lines.

"And I'm not fit to touch the hem of your garment,
No, no, I'm not fit to touch the hem of your garment.

"I have no love, but only goals.
How very empty is my soul.
It is a soul that feels no thrill.
It is a soul that could easily kill.

"And I'm not fit to touch the hem of your garment,
No, no, I'm not fit to touch the hem of your garment."

No comments: