Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day

Johnny Cash, "Sam Hall" from American IV: The Man Comes Around (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: I'd be lying if I claimed today's choice of the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. wasn't inspired, tongue in cheek, by my reading of the Books of Samuel.
"Well, my name it is Sam Hall, Sam Hall,
Yes, my name it is Sam Hall, it is Sam Hall,
My name it is Sam Hall,
And I hate you, one and all,
And I hate you, one and all, damn your eyes!

"I killed a man, they said, so they said,
I killed a man, they said, so they said,
I killed a man, they said,
And I smashed in his head,
And I left him laying dead, damn his eyes!

"But a-swinging I must go, I must go,
A-swinging I must go, I must go,
A-swinging I must go,
While you critters down below
Yell up, 'Sam, I told you so!' Well, damn your eyes!…

"My name is Samuel, Samuel,
My name is Samuel, Samuel,
My name is Samuel,
And I'll see you all in hell,
And I'll see you all in hell, damn your eyes!"

No comments: