Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAfter Party


Mustard Plug, "Life Is Too Short" from Black and White (The Last Angry Rude Boy)

Skammentary: The first five songs in this year's SKAfter Party were all furnished by Less Than Jake. This serves as a welcome reminder of why the rules of SKApril are as they are. I sometimes chafe under the strictures of SKApril, that no band may provide more than one song per SKApril & that no song may be repeated from one SKApril to another. I sometimes wish to choose as the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. the very best of the best, but if I did that not only would I pick the same songs by the same bands year after year, thus not showcasing the history & diversity of ska, but creature of fleeting fancies as I am it's entirely possible I'd pick the same song on several repeating days. I'm a fan of Less Than Jake, I celebrate their entire catalog; I've been to more than one Less Than Jake show; I can go weeks at a time listening to nothing but Less Than Jake; & that's the problem, because SKApril wouldn't be the celebration it is if I didn't discipline my obsessive nature, even if in my immature & undisciplined nature I chafe against the very rules I myself have put in place.

No comments: