Friday, May 18, 2018

The Rebel Black Dot Songs o' History Quiz Night

Project MERCATOR: Misty Beavers (defeated)—The History o' History Quiz Night '18, in Song
Freitag, 23. März
Dropkick Murphys, "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced" from Blackout (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: In defeat, the Misty Beavers retired to the Soggy Bottom Bar & drank. Fear not, we weren't wallowing in dejection. In years past, in victory, the Misty Beavers retired to the Soggy Bottom Bar & drank. We were dejected, to be sure, unable to do shots out of our championship trophies, but most of all we were just glad to be together. I had long, & long overdue, conversations with both Red Patton & the Animal, & made two new friends, Millennials, a brother & sister who recognized me from daily Mass at St. Matthew in downtown Flint.

The defeat stung, of that let there be no doubt, but even as we licked out wounds I could not help but think of the words of Churchill, which I posted to the Misty Beavers' FaceSpace page the next day:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."
Meanwhile, we did have wounds to lick & libations to imbibe.
"I play in a band,
We're the best in the land,
We're big in both Chelsea and France.
I play one mean guitar
And then score at the bar,
There's a line of chick waiting for their chance.
So, come on now, Honey,
I'll make you feel pretty,
These other gals means nothing to me!
Let's finish these drinks
And be gone for the night,
I'm more than a handful, you'll see!

"So, kiss me, I'm shitfaced!
I'm soaked, I'm soiled and brown,
In the trousers she kissed me,
And I only bought her one round…

"Ah, fuck it, who am I shittin'?
I'm a pitiful sight
And I ain't all that bright,
I'm definitely not chiseled from stone.
I'm a cheat and a liar,
No woman's desire,
I'll probably die cold and alone…"

No comments: