Thursday, March 13, 2003

Elvis Costello guest hosted The Late Show tonight. That was odd. So, of course now I'm listening to This Year's Model.

Linz called tonight while I was at work. We've been playing phone tag for so long that I haven't spoken to her in nearly a month. I miss her. Not the way I normally miss her, I miss the way we used to talk at least every week, often twice. This past Summer, she was new to Berkeley and had few friends. I told her she'd forget me as soon as she got a life. She called me silly. I hate it when I'm right. (Note the irony: she called me tonight; so, clearly she hasn't forgotten about me. By Lucifer's beard, I'm retarded sometimes.)

"Red dragon tattoo
Is just about on me
I got it for you
So now do you want me?
With nothing to prove
Will you be my honey? Oh yeah
In you I confide
Red dragon tattoo
I'm fit to be dyed
Am I fit to have you?"
(I wore my Fountains of Wayne T-shirt today; so, I was thinking about that before Lindsay called.)

Today's grand prize (you don't actually win anything) goes to Hello Sarah for getting in on the ground floor vis-a-vis ending my fledgling relationship with Q-Girl. I'm looking for a reason not to say, "I don't think we should see each other anymore," but I seriously doubt I'll find it. I worked it all out in my journal Tuesday night. Does being with her make me happier? No, not really. And that, I suppose, is that. The only reason I can see to be with her is that she lets me touch her, but I'm not that guy. It's not that I refuse to be him, it's that I'm really not that guy. I wouldn't know how to be him even if that's what I wanted. (I don't know if this has any significance, but I feel it is at least worth mentioning. At no point has Lindsay entered into the calculus of this experiment. This is about me not being terribly fond of Q-Girl.)

Way back when I first found out that Lindsay had a boyfriend (three months into the realtionship...), I looked around to see what my dating options were. I selected three candidates and designated them Bachelorettes Nos. 1, 2, and 3. Bachelorette No. 3 was revealed as a racist, and then as a crazy girl: NO. Bachelorette No. 1 became Q-Girl, and you've just read how that went: NO. Bachelorette No. 2, the most physically attractive of the three, is a Trekkie. However, her favorite show is Star Trek: Voyager: a thousand times NO. Back to square one, folks, and all the while Jake's been merrily fucking Lindsay.

And with that, "Radio, Radio."

No comments: