Friday, March 7, 2003

Things I've Decided
I haven't really decided anything, but I like that as a subject heading.

If your blog is more quizzes than anything else, you are a sad, pathetic human being. As a side note, a few nights ago while IMing with Q-Girl she sent me the link to her blog. I realized this was my opportunity to tell her I had a blog, but politely request of her that she never ever visit it. But I didn't. At the time, it seemed rude and inappropriate. Of course, I missed my chance; so, now I can't ever make that request of her. I just have to lie low and hope against hope that in her online journeys she never happens upon the Secret Base. By the way, I don't know what she hopes to get out of her blog. The updates are sporadic and, to be honest, worthless. A blog does not have to be of any great significance, I suppose, but if you never say anything important to you I don't understand why you would maintain such a site. And yes, her site is dominated by the pictoral results of online quizzes. "Which Buffy character are you?" ("You're Willow") "What mythological creature are you?" ("You are... Faerie") Gag me.

I just found out the Evil Princess is in a sorority. To be honest, yes, this bothers me. She said, "Sometimes you have to get off your soapbox and realize that people you care for will do things you don't approve of, but that doesn't change who we are." No, my dear, but it does mean you are not quite who I thought you were. Two of my best friends in high school were Danny* and Nicky the Greek. In college, at State and Eastern, respectively, both were frat boys. Through college, though I cherished them both, we rarely talked, except those first two summers when we were all home living with our parents. Nick was a huge pothead all through undergrad; we're cool again now that he's off weed, in dental school, and no longer hanging out with his frat "bros." I haven't spoken to or heard from Dan in over a year; I don't even know if he's living in East Lansing or Grand Blanc. (* I met Danny when my family moved to Grand Blanc; it was shortly before the Mountain was born - having a third kid was why we needed a bigger house - and I was two. When we were little, he was called Danny. In middle school, he announced one day that he wanted to be called by the more mature name Dan; so, he was Dan the Man, said with equal parts affection and derision. Now that we're men - "men" - I feel it is once again appropos to call my friend by his true name, Danny. Why? Because Danny was my best friend, the only person I've ever loved enough to call my other brother. I'll find you one day, Danny, and I'll save you if you need it.)

I hate the Greek system. I hate how those people behave and I hate the inherent nature of their organizations. My fake campaign for the U of M student council, which actually ended up getting me elected, was run under the banner of the F.R.A.T. Party. Do you know why? Because I hate frat boys and sorostitutes! (F.R.A.T., Friends Rebelling Against Tyranny. Man oh man, those were great days.) I cherish the Evil Princess, but she has to understand that it bothers me to know she was proudly a part of something I truly loathe, and not without reason. If her being a sorostitute didn't bother me, I wouldn't be who I am.

No comments: