Saturday, July 5, 2003

Last night (Thursday night), the Professor and I saw Reel Big Fish in Pontiac, at Clutch Cargo's. The first ska show - and really, the first real show - I ever saw was Reel Big Fish in Pontiac, at Clutch Cargo's, in February of my sophomore year. How in God's name was that only four years ago? It seems as if I've lived my entire life in that span; I cannot remember a time when music and rock shows were not such a monumental part of my life. It seems as if I've retroactively revised all my memories. I never went to rock shows when I swam, but it seems as if I did, I'm sure. I must have.

I have lived and died in those four years and somehow yesterday felt like a last salute. Like the end of something great. But it can't be the end because this is the way it's always been and oh, God, I don't want to go to Boston because how can I drive to Pontiac for a show if I'm in Boston? And the only important thing in life is your friends, the people next to whom you skank in the pit and later stop for fuel at the T-Bell in Waterford, the one we always stop at. We always stop there, but I can never remember where it is.

I feel like the greatest thing I have ever known is dying.

In less high concept matters, the show itself was fucking amazing, obviously, because Reel Big Fish doesn't know how to put on a mediocre show. And, of course, I ran into Jason Coliadis, one-time member of Comeuppance and Murky Transport Disaster and for a time after I went off to college the Bald Mountain's best friend; I randomly see that kid everywhere.

Arsenal
In the English Premiership, my team is Arsenal. Yessir, the Gunner are my boys. Why? Because the Guy chose Man U as his side and I can't stand those wankers. Every proper lad knows the pitch at Highbury is the home of football.

I Seem to Have Acquired a Taste for Sardines
Today, Independence Day, I couldn't get Sardine off my mind. I think I may really like her. In any event, I have to call her next week, as soon as I get a chance. I was up to my elbows in sludge for large portions of the day; so, perhaps my mind just needed a pleasant thought upon which to fixate.

No comments: