Monday, October 9, 2006

BTW South Song of the Day
John Linnell, "Michigan" from State Songs (T.L.A.M.)

Honolulu Blue Forever
21-64, Mr. Millen, 0-5 on the year. I know I've said this before, but I cannot even begin to find the words to express how very, very weary I am of wearing my Lions T-shirt on Mondays to show solidarity with my long-suffering fellows back in the homeland. To equal last season's record of 5-11, we need to go 5-6 for the rest of the year. This is impossible in every sense save mathematically. So, for the second season in a row, we are actually going to get worse. In my most fevered dreams I could hardly have imagined such a thing. The 6-10 record of the 2004 campaign seems fated to remain the glorious high water mark of Matt Millen's stewardship of the Detroit Lions: 2-14, 3-13, 5-11, 6-10, 5-11, 0-5 after five games.

If I correctly remember my calculations from last fall, Jeff Garcia (currently the back-up QB for the Philadelphia Eagles) won just about one out of every four games in which he was the starting quarterback for the Lions. Joey Harrington (currently the back-up QB for the Miami Dolphins) won approximately one out of every three games he started. Thus far in his career with the Lions, Jon Kitna (formerly the back-up QB for the Cincinnati Bengals) has won zero out of five games. Garcia: 1 of 4, 25%; Harrington: 1 of 3, 33%; Kitna: 0 of 5, 0%. Boy howdy, I'm glad we ran Joey out of town with an old-fashioned mob of torch- and pitchfork-carrying villagers. That bum was really dragging the team down.

No comments: