Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Requiem
Postal service from the pedestal has been discontinued for a full year, and by all indications for the foreseeable future. This island Earth has journeyed a full revolution around the accursed Sun since last my friend Skeeter posted on her weblog, Letters From the Pedestal. Approximately sixty comments have been left in her absence, an average of five a month, lamentations and beseechments, haikus and harassments. We miss you, Skeeter. Godspeed.

Vote For Kodos
I am reminded of the day after Election Day in November 1994, when I entered Mr. Riek's Honors English 10 classroom and began a spirited taunting of my friend Todd, the son of two schoolteachers and an avid Democrat. I crowed about the demise of liberalism, he broke out the dictionary and tried to explain that liberalism isn't a bad thing, I tried to explain to him that there is a profound gulf between the definition of "liberal" and the political philosophy, such as it is, of the contemporary Democratic Party. And yet for all the twelve years since the so-called Republican Revolution, I have believed myself to be a stalwart of the permanent minority party. I was amazed and appalled by the conservatism manifested by the leaders and grassroots members of my Republican Party, but I knew in my heart of hearts it was better than the mushy, nebulous alternatives offered by the Democrats.

As of January 3rd of next year, the Democrats will once again constitute the majority in the House of Representatives, and very likely in the Senate as well. Debacle? Balderdash, this is excellent news! For in this seeming disaster lie the seeds of a greater triumph. Our victory in the '08 presidential contest, a matter of great uncertainty as recently as Monday, is now all but assured. The Democrats are once again authors of their own defeat, doomed in what they believe is their finest hour. Truely, this is sweet.

And mark well the words of Robert Underdunk Terwilliger, "No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and lived to tell about it."

BTW South Song of the Day
The Atomic Fireballs, "Man With the Hex" from Torch This Place (Mt. Love)

No comments: