Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Girls of September '79
Happy birthday to The Watergirl! She and I attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor at the same time, we had a couple friends in common, and on one occasion I was even in her apartment whilst hanging out, after a fashion, with her roommate. Yet, we neither met nor exchanged words until after she'd left Ann Arbor. I made an internet friend of someone I could have easily met in real life. Crazy. Since then, though, our bond has migrated into the real world and it's all good. Happy birthday, Katie!

Thus concludes another year's series of "The Girls of September '79." Being a child of 1979, I makes sense that many of my best girl friends would share my birth year, but it is a wee but spooky that these four - Mrs. Blinky, Mrs. Sacramento, Skeeter, and The Watergirl - were born in a ten-day span. And now that I think of it, do I have any other distaff friends born in 1979? None spring to mind. The Girls of September '79, spooky but undeniably awesome. Thanks for your friendship, girls, and I wish each of you nothing but the best for Earth's next trip 'round the Sun.

Until next year, this has been "The Girls of September '79." If you're a cool girl who was born in September '79 drop me a line and maybe we'll become friends. Fair warning, though, the bar's been set pretty high. Good luck.


The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Elvis Costello, "Spooky Girlfriend" from When I Was Cruel (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: