Sunday, April 5, 2009

Back on schedule for the first time since November, having made up all the weekly episodes I missed, it's…

The Explorers Club
No. CXXIV - The Gregorian calendar, devised by Aloysius Lilius and promulgated by His Holiness Pope Gregory XIII in the papal bull Inter gravissimas on 24 February 1582.








Operation AXIOM
I hope one and all enjoyed my little April Fools' Day prank, the grand unveiling of Operation AXIOM, the latest branch of CADMUS. As I have long observed, today 'twas the only time in the whole of the universe that the day was going to be the fifth of April Anno Domini 2009. The passage of days is of such tremendous importance, because when you get down to brass tacks all we have are days. Days that we let slip all too casually. I mean to change that. Operation AXIOM will be a concerted effort to mark that which makes each day unique and glorious, including the celebration of as many holidays as possible, both actual holy days and secular frolics. April Fools' Day was a great start, but then I stumbled today as I forgot to wear red to Mass. But that's okay, because like every other part of CADMUS, Operation AXIOM is ongoing. Tomorrow is a new day, another chance to make the most of our all too fleeting time on this peculiar orb.

Next up: Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter. Then Eastertide carries us through to Pentacost. Less than two months until Narwhal Day, boys and girls (23rd May); make ready.

And take a spin on the Wayback Machine for a glimpse of the long gestation of what we now know as Operation AXIOM: Wayback Machinelink.

Under the Rhodesian Sun
Color me skeptical: re-engagementlink. Skeptical, yet desperately hopeful. I pray this works.

Ooo, perhaps I could give a fictional character a Rhodesian ridgeback. I know next to nothing about the breed, but 'tis one of the last few common uses of the word Rhodesian.

Atlanticism
Silvio-a-go-go. Oh, man, that guy is such a card. And so generous. Yet more hi-jinks: Silvo-a-go-go-go!

The Stars My Destination
Boldly going… nowhere fast: cabin feverlink.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
The Bruce Lee Band, "Running Out of Time" from Beautiful World (T.L.A.M.)

Samstag, 4 April
The London Symphony Orchestra, Boléro from (the) London Symphony Orchestra Plays Classical Favourites (T.L.A.M.)

Freitag, 3 April
Fountains of Wayne, "She's Got a Problem" from Fountains of Wayne (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "I know a girl who you've got to keep an eye on."

Donnerstag, 2 April
Slo-Poke, "She Doesn't have to be Punk" from the Tasteful E.P. (T.L.A.M.)

I think April might be the most consistent of all the months, linguistically.
English: April
German: April
Dutch: April
Italian: Aprile
Portuguese: Abril
Spanish: Abril
French: Avril

"I understand what makes a woman think that any man is better than nothing. I'll just never understand what makes a woman think she's got nothing."
--Jeremy Goodwin, Sports Night

No comments: