Saturday, April 18, 2009

Believe: Red Wings 4-0 Blue Jackets
Two down, fourteen to go. Best of seven: Detroit 2-0 Columbus.

I've never liked Ken Hitchcock, but accusing the Wings of cheating in the face off circle just because of sour grapes from the first game was low, even for him. And tonight's domination by the Red Wings was the perfect response to Hitchcock's whining. Whining and taking cheap shots late in the third: the Columbus B.J.s are exactly the hockey team the Buckeye State deserves. "O-H!" "F-U."

I am really digging the slogan/promotion "The Beard is Back." (But not so much that I'm jumping the gun on next fall's Banzai Beard Bonanza II: Bonsai's Revenge.)

Believe.

Wombatlink. Oy, if any of you happen to visit the Australian state of Tasmania (though I still prefer the original Western name for the island, Van Diemen's Land, which somehow seems more poetic), I'd love some wombat poo paper as a souvenir.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
The Wombats, "Tales of Girls, Boys and Marsupials" from A Guide to Love, Loss & Desperation (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The title should be "Tales of Girls, Boys, and Marsupials." Pay no mind to the grammatical anarchists who tell you that the comma before the last item on a list is superfluous. Their position is nothing but a pack of lies. And anarchy. Lies and anarchy.

The album title is a stickier wicket, because a comma before an ampersand just doesn't work. And that for me is the most trying part of my love for the ampersand.


Freitag, 17 April
The Proclaimers, "Five O'Clock World" from Born Innocent (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The perfect song for the beginning of the weekend… even if a day late.

"But it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows,
No one owns a piece of my time.
And there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes,
Thinking that the world looks fine, yeah."

No comments: