Friday, April 24, 2009

Perchance to Dream
I had uncharacteristically and unpleasantly vivid dreams every morning this week. Monday's was the most graphic sex dream I've ever had, which made me extremely uncomfortable and more than a little disgusted as soon as I awoke. Wednesday's was the doozy, though; I was roommates with The Watergirl in an apartment that was a hybrid of this old place I was familiar with in Ann Arbor, Macho Grande, and a basement rumpus room. And then later I was chased by a gila monster. Chased isn't really the right word. It wanted to nuzzle with me like a cat, but I was terrified of it because it was a blasted gila monster. This is a creature for which our language has no other word but "monster," how I am to be anything but scared witless by it? It's not called a gila lizard or a gila monitor, no, it's a gila MONSTER. And unlike real gila monsters, this bĂȘte noire was as fast and agile as a cat. And in the end, predictably, the fiendish thing bit me. And of course a gila monster's bite is poisonous, that's what makes it so monstrous. I woke up before I learned whether my poisoning was fatal.

I hate dreams.

"To die, to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to—'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep, perchance to dream."
--Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act III, Scene I

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Agincourtdb, "Lamplighter" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: