Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Magnificent Moustache Malarkey
Day 30: I find that I very much like the way I look with the moustache, genuinely, not as a goof. My face is well suited to hosting facial hair. At the appointed hour, the moustache will get the axe (or razor, as the case may be), thus concluding the Malarkey and the broader second Bonanza. The experiment will not be complete until I am back to my heretofore standard facially hairless appearance, even though it will pain me to lose the luxuriant locks that live* above my lip. But, at this moment, I would be very surprised if either the beard or the moustache does not make a comeback well before the Banzai Beard Bonanza III: Third Time's the Harm is scheduled to begin in 2014.

The photographs below are from Day 22, a week and a day hence. They were available on Day 23 and their publication has been delayed by travel, sickness, and sloth. Mea culpa. Behold!























This last shot was taken in the upstairs bathroom mirror by the subject himself, experimenting with, among other elements, not using the flash. Over the weekend, when the clan was gathered at Xanadu to celebrate Where Teddy?'s first birthday (and the first meeting of Where's Teddy? and The Squeak!), I experimented with angling the flash, endeavoring to make it less harsh and overpowering. My hair is, as anyone who's met me can attest, not nearly so dark as it appears in the above photographs, and I believe the darkening is an effect of the X-700's very bright flash. I will retrieve this weekend's developed prints from the drugstore tomorrow, and with a little luck the angled flash will have proven a success and a boon to future M.M.M. photography.

*Not really live, since hair is dead.

The Queue
Recently
Ian Fleming, Thunderball
Ian Fleming, The Spy Who Loved Me
Ian Fleming, On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Currently
Ian Fleming, You Only Live Twice

Presently
Ian Fleming, The Man with the Golden Gun
Ian Fleming, Octopussy and The Living Daylights
Sebastian Faulks, writing as Ian Fleming, Devil May Care

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Blue Van, "Independence" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: An interlude in our cycle of songs all titled "Summertime" in order to celebrate the returns of Burn Notice and Royal Pains with the theme song from the latter. Welcome back!

3 comments:

The Guy said...

I really love the pith helmet in these vignettes.

brenda cox giguere said...

Agreed; I'd go as far as saying the pith helmet is your perfect headgear.

Mike Wilson said...

I have not worn any headgear since high school, when for quite a whole I wore a disgustingly filthy Superman baseball cap, but I have of late decided to experiment with a hat in my ongoing war against the Accursed Sun. However, for this purpose I've selected a straw Trilby, as the pith helmet is somewhat heftier than I'd prefer. However, should I take any serious walks in the sunshine (mad dogs and Englishmen and all that), I would surely select the helmet.