Saturday, June 12, 2010

24 Heures du Mans - 24:00:00
So begins the greatest endurance race in all the world, so begins the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Hip hip! Hooray!

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Michel Legrand, "Le Mans: The Race, First Laps" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: From the soundtrack to the motion picture Le Mans, my first exposure to the spectacle and glory of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Thanks, Steve McQueen!

Freitag, 11 Juni
Isaac Hayes, "Theme from Shaft" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother—
(Shut your mouth!)
But I'm talkin' about Shaft.
(Then we can dig it.)

He's a complicated man,
But no one understands him but his woman.
(John Shaft)"


The Queue
I've decided to read Horse Under Water by Len Deighton for two reasons: {a} I wish to continue reading spy fiction, and have a taste for something grittier and more realistic after the glitz of the Bond novels, and {b} the following image is of the first edition cover, far and away one of the greatest covers I've had the privilege to see. I've seen depictions of human skulls on the covers of a great many books, but none so striking, so perfect as on Horse Under Water.



Horse Under Water is the second in the "Secret File" series, but from what I've read about them I don't believe it's necessary to read them in order. I've seen the motion picture of the first book, The IPCRESS File; part of the appeal of starting with Horse Under Water is that I can approach the material fresh, allowing me to judge it solely on its merits. That's the theory, anyway.

Recently
Ian Fleming, On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Ian Fleming, You Only Live Twice
Ian Fleming, The Man with the Golden Gun

Currently
Ian Fleming, Octopussy and The Living Daylights

Presently
Sebastian Faulks writing as Ian Fleming, Devil May Care
W. Somerset Maugham, Ashenden, or: The British Agent
Karen E. Olson, Pretty in Ink

No comments: