Friday, June 18, 2010

Project MERCATOR
Bonfire scorecard: 1 for 3. I did not attend last Saturday's (12 June) bonfire because I was still in the clutches of the dreadful sick, my second bout in as many weeks, this time acquired from my mom's boss's kids via my mom; I dared not pose the obvious threat of contagion to my fellows. Staying awake all night watching the 24 Heures du Mans while still nursing a cough and runny nose was not my smartest move, but Le Mans comes only once a year and anything that spectacular requires dedication, even sacrifice. Tonight's bonfire was cancelled shortly after I arrived at the host's house due to a line of thunderboomers moving through southeast Michigan. The Action Hero (Kevin, introduced into the gang by way of The Cowgirl) was struggling to light the fire, I stepped into the house to use the water closet, and when I emerged he was dosing the now-roaring fire ahead of the coming storm. At that moment, The Cowgirl arrived and the three of us repaired to the Action Hero's garage to sit and drink Woodchuck while watching the rain fall. Tuesday's (15 June) bonfire was a success, though not as much fun as Saturday's or tonight's bonfires would have been because I knew only one person there.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer, "Mean Old Coot" from Jalopy Go Far (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Because Love/Hate likes to make fun of how much older than her I am (30 to her 22).

7 comments:

Kevin said...

I've never heard of Zolof before... but a quick perusal through iTunes has revealed that they are, in fact, way awesome. Thanks, Mike!

brenda cox giguere said...

As a native Californian, the idea of a bonfire is an exotic one. It's something I've only read about or seen in movies. I'm still not entirely clear on the particulars.

brenda cox giguere said...

PS To be clear, what I meant was, I'm a native Californian who has never lived anywhere else.

Mike Wilson said...

I'm shocked, Dreamer, because the Pacific beaches that are one of the hallmarks of the Golden State are perfect venues for bonfires. Ingredients: {1} A firepit, which may be as simple as a piece of ground cleared of vegetation (like a sandy beach), or may include something more elaborate like a ring of stones. {2} Firewood, including the kindling to get the bigger logs to light. {3} Matches or some other source of ignition. {4} Guests. Staple activities include drinking beer and roasting hot dogs and s'mores over the open flame. Acoustic guitars are not forbidden, but one must be so terribly careful not to slip into hippieness. Staples accessories include hooded sweatshirts (as bonfires happen at night, amid rapidly dropping temperatures) and dogs to whom to throw Frisbees.

Kevin said...

Beach bonfires are tricky business, especially in a state like California. I mean, you can't even smoke cigarettes on most sidewalks here, so the chances of being able to legally drink alcohol on the beach is pretty low. I've heard of some beaches that don't allow bonfires at all, since they want to prevent idiocy and to keep the beaches clean.

The one time I went to a beach bonfire in Savannah the cops showed up, arrested the kid who refused to stop playing guitar, while another guy tried rolling a keg into the ocean. Good times.

twg said...

I would assume the wildfire threat in southern California would make for pretty tight regulations against any outdoor fires.

brenda cox giguere said...

Living three miles from the Pacific Ocean doesn't seem to have put a bonfire in my life thus far. And I'm not up on my local regs, so who knows. I'll check into it.

Until then, I have movies, and my imagination.