Friday, June 29, 2012

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Vampire Weekend, "Campus" from Vampire Weekend (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I ran into one of my professors this afternoon at the grocer's. We chatted for a bit, including gossiping about mutual acquaintances. As we parted the thought struck me that I'd like to have an affair with her, & I wondered as to how I might go about arranging such a thing. She's in her mid-forties, blonde with her hair sun-bleached nearly to white, perilously thin, & married to another professor twenty years her senior. Even were it within my power to initiate such an affair I would not do so, for I respect the bonds of matrimony; Dan Rydell put it well on Sports Night, "I will not interfere with another man's marriage." But now I am curious, purely as an intellectual exercise: Were I not possessed of any scruples, how would I go about seducing her? By what means would I tempt her into such a fraught indiscretion? "Campus" seemed the perfect accompaniment to such rakish ruminations.

"Then I see you, you're walking 'cross the campus,
Full professor studying romances,
How am I supposed to pretend I never want to see you again?
How am I supposed to pretend I never want to see you again?"

No comments: