Monday, May 5, 2014

The Explorers' Club, № CCCXCI

The Northrop N-1M & N-9M experimental flying wings.







Commentary: These ahead-of-their-time aeroplanes were flying at the same time that the general public became obsessed with U.F.O.s (not merely as unidentified flying objects, but as alien spacecraft) & started reported sightings of flying saucers. I cannot say there is in that direct causation, but my instinct says there is more here than mere correlation.

Also, we should not forget that the very first episode of "The Explorers' Club" concerned an aircraft, the Fairey Rotodyne: № 1. Should I ever lose my fascination with aviation, life would be less sweet, less sublime, & you would be right to suspect that something terrible had befallen me, something sinister had taken hold of me.

No comments: