Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Queue

The full title of Lumen Fidei, given on the title page, is Encyclical Letter Lumen Fidei of the Supreme Pontiff Francis to the Bishops, Priests and Deacons, Consecrated Persons, and the Lay Faithful on Faith. 'Tis a thin little volume, but I read it with great care—translation: I read very slowly—trying to make sure I let it have the appropriate impact on my way of thinking. I found myself smiling throughout, recognizing much of my own life in what His Holiness was saying, & I hope that means I'm on the right path, that what I'm doing is pleasing to the Creator.

I am eager to resume Liberal Fascism, but I always want to make sure that I'm always studying the faith, always growing in my devotion. I don't know if I'll be able to juggle Liberal Fascism & Rediscover Catholicism or if the latter will have to be set aside 'til I've finished the former.

Recently
Christian Caryl, Strange Rebels: 1979 and the Birth of the 21st Century
Helene Wecker, The Golem and the Jinni
Pope Francis, Lumen Fidei (The Light of Faith)

Currently
Jonah Goldberg, Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning
Matthew Kelly, Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose

Presently
Timothy Keller, The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Swords of Mars
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Synthetic Men of Mars
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
Edgar Rice Burroughs, Llana of Gathol
Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars
Richard Price, Clockers
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, "Sinbad the Sailor" from The Arabian Nights

Lately Neglected
Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan, or The Matter, Forme, & Power of a Common-wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civill
Edmund Burke, The Evils of Revolution
F. J. Sheed, Theology for Beginners

Autobahn
At a stoplight this afternoon, the Lumi, the Distaff Son of the Mousemobile was behind a blacked out Chevrolet Volt with the vanity license plate GODGVEN, which I'm reading as "God given." Whether this means that discrete Volt is God given, the technology underpinning the Volt as a model is God given, or the driver is God given remains unknown to this author.

Operation AXIOM
The R.B.D.S.O.T.D.'s "Robot Week" is dedicated, with affection, to the California Dreamer, a science fiction maven who has never taken her eyes off the stars, & the future.

No comments: