Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Taylor Swift Song of the Day
Taylor Swift, "Mean" from Speak Now (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Mean" is another song that, meaningful as it is to me, would have been all the more so had I been born in 1989, like Miss Swift, instead of 1979. I was picked on in elementary school for getting good grades & for not being cool, but at the time this merely confused me; 'twas not 'til middle school that it hurt; 'twas not 'til high school that I developed a carapace of defiant indifference; & 'twas not 'til college that I actually came to be defiantly indifferent. Of course, in my turn I've perpetuated the cycle by being mean to many persons, & I will never be able to make amends to too many of them. May we all learn not merely to overcome, as advocated in "Mean," but to forgive, & teach others to be kind in the first place.

No comments: