Friday, April 4, 2003

Do you think the parents of supervillains are proud of their children? I mean, even if he's a murderer and madman, he's still your kid. A possible exerpt from The Empire Times:

"When asked about his son's recent attempt to blow up City Hall and subsequent skirmish with the mystery man 'The Cloak', Mr. Van der Zwaag said, 'Proud? Of course I'm proud of my boy. He does battle with superpowered mystery men and yet eludes capture every time! And just who do these square-jawed Adonises think they are, anyway? They aren't the police, yet they feel free to pass judgment on all of us mere mortals. If you ask me, somebody should take these vigilante so-and-sos down a peg and I reckon my boy Kermit is just the man for the job!' When asked about the civilians killed in the foiling of his son's attack, he said, "Omelets are made from eggs, sonny, they don't happen out of thin air.' Kermit Van der Zwaag, alias 'The Anarchist', is still loose and police say he is considered armed and extremely dangerous. Residents are urged to call 9-1-1 immediately if they spot The Anarchist."

Obvious in the passage above is my preference for the term "mystery men" over the more popular "superheroes." Also, I prefer "madmen" over "supervillains." Mystery men and madmen, oh what a world it would be.

I've been trying to rename an archvillain, currently called Dr. Phantom, but so far without success. His name doesn't mean anything, the man doesn't possess any phasing or illusionary superpowers, he's just a run-of-the-mill mad scientist. I very much like the sound of "Dr. Phantom," but I think the world of Empire City would be better severed were he renamed, thus enabling me to create The Phantom, though be he madman or saint I do not yet know.

Do take care to make sure Kermit Van der Zwaag of Empire City, a.k.a. The Anarchist, is not to be confused with Tobias Van Der Haas of Aero City, a.k.a. Doktor Fantazmo.

No comments: