Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Empire Strikes Back
Special Air Service: "Who Dares Wins."

Special Boat Service: "Not By Strength, By Guile."

Despite all the talk of ours being an information economy and the future of warfare being "network-centric," I still there is great validity in the analysis of history Admiral Mahan expounded in The Influence of Sea Power upon History. Thus, I think it is worth noting that despite al Qaeda's successful and bloody attack on the USS Cole in 2000 (to which President Clinton did not respond), and Beijing's ambitions for the People's Liberation Army Navy (honestly, that's what it's called) to be more than just a brown water force, the three most powerful navies in the world are the United States Navy, the Royal Navy, and Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force. Woot!

If I ever become a recluse, I think I'll move to the Falklands. That seems like just about the middle of nowhere. Plus, the locals speak English, always a plus.

No comments: