Thursday, June 16, 2005

England vs. Rome
By blood I am half-English, compared to one quarter Scottish and one quarter Irish. My closest foreign-born relative was my Great Granny Gray, may she rest in peace, born Maude Pudaphott in an England still ruled by Queen Victoria. Yes, my Grandma Wilson, may she rest in peace, was born Priscilla Gray in an India still ruled by the British Raj, but her father was an American; so, I consider her to have been born an American. I love Great Britain, but more specifically I love England.

At the same time, I am a Roman Catholic, and Holy Mother Church suffered horribly at the hands of many Kings of England. My heart is torn between the Vatican and Whitehall. I have a great admiration for both Saint Thomas Becket and Saint Thomas More, martyrs of the Faith who died at the hands of King Henry II and King Henry VIII, respectively. They served both the Church and England, even if England's king could not see it at the time. On the other hand, I've never been a fan of Saint Joan of Arc. We are to believe that the Almighty really wanted the Dauphin to rule France and not Henry VI? I have a hard time viewing Joan as a martyr; I think she was executed because she was leading the French army, not because angels spoke to her. I doubt the English occupational army much gave a rat's arse about the voices she heard, they just wanted her victories to stop. But, Holy Mother Church sez she is a saint and yadda yadda yadda whatever, she's a saint.

And of course, Catholics are still officially forbidden from ascending to the throne of the United Kindgom. A Catholic, after all, couldn't be the head of the heretical and farcical Church of England now, could he?

No comments: