Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Question*
I have observed a dangerous trend: when questions are asked, the questionee suddenly turns on the questioner and launches a barrage of counter-questions aimed at impugning the questioner's motive, completing ignoring the original question, regardless of its validity or relevance.

Questioner: "So, what do you think about Jack Johnson's 3¢ titanium tax?"
Quentionee: 'What's your game? Trying to trip me up so you can report me to your little friends? I know all about you and your sad little clique of whisperers. Afraid to do anything yourselves so you try to tear down people with ambition. People with vision! Well, I'm not going to fall for it, you rat! I know what you're up to; so, just back off!"

It does not follow that just because someone asks you a question they are assailing your entire value system, yet that is precisely how so very many people react. So, please, go ahead, ask me anything. Anyone who tells you there are no stupid questions is an imbecile, but I will answer any and all questions, no matter how stupid or indelicate. Fire away. Ask me anything.

*I personally quite enjoy that DC has within its stable of superheroes both The Question and "Genius" Jones, who prefers the name Answer Man. Answer Man and The Question, it's a team-up made in heaven!

No comments: