Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Science!
Exhibit A: Kilimanjaro. So, this doomed Earth is still doomed, but maybe not as quickly as we'd previous believed. Then again, I remember being back in middle school in the early '90s, when Earth Day was first resurgent, and we were told that by these early years of the 21st centuries the oceans would have risen and submerged all the great coastal metropolises. Last time I was in New York, everything looked fine; the same goes for Los Angeles. The greater point is that we of course need to be far more resposible stewards of the natural splendor around us, but when making predictions we should always bear in mind that the planet's ecology is an indescribably complex system, and one that we would be unforgivably arrogant to assume we fully understand.

Exhibit B: Einstein. Theory and mathematics are essential, but once again we are reminded that science, true science, is dependent upon experimental observations. Debate is all fine and good, but I demand real data! The fruit of experiments, more experiments, and yet more experiments! And since there seems to be a predilection among advocates of strong theory to dismiss Einstein as an irrelevent artifact of an dark age long past, it is nice to see experimentation bear our the old boy's theories. Take that, you experimentless bastards!

Science!

The Irrevocable Shackles of Holy Matrimony
Neato mosquito, I just composed and memorized the speech I will deliver as best man at the reception following the Mountain and the Buckeye's wedding. It came to me as I was taking my post-workout shower. The muses are inscrutable, but generous. Bully for me!

No comments: