Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Endurance
Why do I hate mobile telephones? This evening, I had to cut a pleasant conversation with Codename: PANDORA short because of interference "on the line." She heard nothing out of the ordinary, but I could hear intermittently a voice in the background, a voice that sounded as if it was coming through a fast food squawk box. I'm in Fort Worthless, she's in Denver, traveling on business. These are not homestead outposts in the hinterlands! Yet there we were, her, me, and squawk box. Is the convenience of foisting your conversation off on a dozen strangers while waiting in line at the grocery checkout really worth the crap shoot of signal strength and grainy sound quality that are the hallmarks of mobile telephone service? I'd be agitated in any event, but that my ham-fisted wooing of Codename: PANDORA was intruded upon? Oh, someone must be made to suffer.

No comments: