Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Happy Birthday!
He is unaware of the existence of The Secret Base, and I'm reasonably certain I haven't spoken to him since at least 2004, but I'd like to wish a happy birthday to Danny Boy, my oldest friend, whom I've known since I was two years old, before the Mountain of Love was even born. Danny is two weeks my senior and in our youth we were nearly identical tow-headed rascals. In both visage and temperament he's pure Irish, Bog bless the lad. Three years of silence is nothing; no matter what, I'll always count Danny Boy among my friends. Once back in Michigan, I shall have to contact his folks to learn how to get back in touch with him. Happiest of birthday wishes for you, old chum.

Rick Fitness
Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption are virtually unwatchable during the summer months. Fortunately, I have found something new to hold my attention during the not-as-daily-as-it-should-be routine: Gilmore Girls. I love it, and in the grand tradition of Hedonism-Bot, "I apologize for nothing!"

Spooky?
Two of the more useful widgets in my HAL's "Dashboard" are a "This Day in History" calendar, listing historical events of widely varying significance, and a Red Wings sweater-of-the-day calendar, which lists a different player's name on the date corresponding to his number, both displayed in the style of his Red Wings sweater. Today is July 11. The Red Wings calendar is today displaying the jersey of No. 11, Shawn Burr. This Day in History informs me that today is the anniversary of the fatal duel between then-Vice President Aaron Burr and then-former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton in 1804. Shawn Burr, Aaron Burr, the number eleven... coincidence... or not?

Or do you suppose the Red Wings were, by assigning Shawn Burr the number eleven, signally their endorsement of Burr's killing of Hamilton? Is the Red Wings organization just an elaborate front to disguise a nest of rabid, latter-day Anti-Federalist sentiment?

Emily the Strange
Emily doesn't search to belong...

...she searches to be lost.

Get lost.

No comments: