Friday, January 18, 2008

Ricky Fitness
Yesterday, on a lark I swam in lieu of running on a treadmill. Though I pounded out fewer than a thousand yards before wearily hoisting my carcass out of the pool, I was so tired that I forwent lifting entirely. I crawled into bed last night before 11:30 P.M. and feel into a deep slumber as soon as my head hit the pillow. The water is a harsh mistress.

Possibly as a lingering effect of yesterday's swim, I slept in this morning; so, instead of exercising before work I had to go after. I found that the gents in the locker room are far more gregarious in the afternoon, and though there were certainly more people using the gym than during my normal sessions, my worst fears of overcrowding were not realized and I claimed a treadmill without any difficulty. And I had a really good run, too. Bully for me!

Also, I've added a fifth arm machine to my weight routine, bringing the totals to arms: five, legs: two, torso: two. I am pleased with the increasing size and solidity of my arms.

Vive la France
Compare the romantic conquests of Bill Clinton, former President of the United States, and Nicolas Sarkozy, current President of the French Republic. President Clinton cheated on his wife with Monica Lewinsky, a not terribly comely lass who at the time of their liaison was a government employee, making their affair not simply distasteful but blatantly unethical. By contrast, after lawfully divorcing his second wife, President Sarkozy has landed the gorgeous Carla Bruni, a former fashion model: Cozy with Sarkozy. Vive la France, indeed.

We could all learn from this man.

Vote For Kodos
Tomorrow, South Carolina holds a primary for the Republican Party and Nevada holds voter intimidation-friendly caucuses for the Democratic Party. Voting on a Saturday?! That's damned un-American! Just what I'd expect from South Carolina, a thoroughly contemptible place and the first state to secede from the Union, but as a fan of the decadence and conspicuous consumption of Las Vegas, that latter-day Babylon, I must admit some disappointment in Nevada. Voting on any day other than Tuesday, I am appalled.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Reel Big Fish and Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer, "Dress You Up" from Duet All Night Long (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Historically, I have treated "rock 'n' roll" as the preferred spelling. I think, however, that I shall henceforth adopt "rock & roll." Thanks, Zolof!

Donnerstag, 17 Januar
The Blues Brothers, "I Can't Turn You Loose" (opening) and "I Can't Turn You Loose" (closing) from Briefcase Full of Blues (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: