Sunday, June 8, 2008

Scroll down for the latest installment of The Explorers Club!

"Voyage of the Damned"

"Partners in Crime"
"The Fires of Pompeii"
"Planet of the Ood"
"The Sontaran Stratagem"
"The Poison Sky"
"The Doctor's Daughter"
(cont'd)

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Aquabats!, "Look At Me, I'm a Winner!" from Charge!! (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: This one goes out to Chris Osgood, No. 30. We missed you when you were gone, buddy.

"Four radios blasting classic rock,
And they're pointing at you!
With your fist raised high and a hitch in your step,
You've got it all!
I've got no reason to lie!
Look at me, look at me, look at me,
I'm a winner!
(You're a winner!)
It's just as simple as that!
Don't you agree, don't you agree, don't you agree
That I'm a winner?
(You're a winner!)
You just can't argue with that!"

Even on T.V., I could tell that The Joe wasn't the same without the chants of "Oz-zie! Oz-zie! Oz-zie!"


The Stars My Destination
When We Left Earth reminded me that I've been remiss in my "The Stars My Destination" and "Science!" posts, and I aim to correct that tomorrow.

I placed on this year's birthday wish list, titled "The Summer of Indiana Jones," the following item in the category of Miscellany: "Gift certificates for or largess to purchase a fancy pants grown up watch." This morning, my mother spied in the paper an advertisement for a Father's Day promotion at J. C. Penney, placing on sale watches along with many other items. So, this afternoon, we decamped to Penney's to examine what was on offer. I narrowed down my preferences to a pair and left the final choice to her since this was, after all, her gift to me. She chose the less formal of the two, saying "It's more like [me]." And it really is. So, though I shan't be receiving a chronograph for my birthday, I am getting a new, supplemental watch!

On the one hand, I am grateful to her for the lovely gift, and for the opportunity to select it myself. On the other hand, I dislike knowing the nature of my presents in advance of my birthday. On the gripping hand, my new watch is of Swiss manufacture; it's chockablock with neutral precision!

Also, as we departed with our purchases, we ran into, in the act of entering, Alistair's elder brother. I could see the wheels turning behind his eyes as he struggled to recognize me, and not in vain. We traded the usual pleasantries and went our separate ways about our own business.

No comments: