Saturday, January 9, 2010

Secrets of the Secret Base
Haloscan finally sold out. I received an email approximately a week before Christmas informing me that my use of Haloscan's free commenting feature was about to be revoked. I could pay ten bucks a year for their atrocious "Echo" commenting service, or be tossed out into the cold. I chose the cold. Yet when the fortnight deadline passed, naught changed. By now, however, all my old comments have been lost and, contrary to Haloscan's advice, I was unable to smoothly and easily transfer them into Blogger's own internal commenting service.

I've followed the instructions given to equip The Secret Base with Blogger commenting, but it's not working as advertised. No sign of any comments is visible on the main blog page. If you click on the time signature at the bottom, you'll be redirected to a that-post-only version of this blog, where comments are then visible. I'm at a loss what to do, but I'll keep cracking until I get this worked out. Your patience and tolerance are greatly appreciated, dear readers. Also, the Devil take everyone at Haloscan and may misfortune stalk them all the rest of their days.

The Queue
The Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year books take maybe half an hour to an hour to read through, depending on how long one dwells on each cartoon. They're still books; so, they go on the list, but no one should get an inflated view of how much I've been reading lately. Slam was a proper book, the other two took no time at all.

Recently
book holiday
Nick Hornby, Slam
Charles Brooks, editor, Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year—2010 Edition
Charles Brooks, editor, Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year—2008 Edition

Currently
Agatha Christie, Crooked House

Presently
P. G. Wodehouse, Mike at Wrykyn & Mike and Psmith
Agatha Christie, Passenger to Frankfurt
Agatha Christie, The Murder at the Vicarage

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Vampire Weekend, "Oxford Comma" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Freitag, 8 Januar
Apocalypse Hoboken, "Gummi" from Plea For Peace (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"She dresses down to flatter,
She makes my everything, everything matter."

6 comments:

The Guy said...

Haloscaaaaaan!!!!! (think, "Khaaaan"!)


~The Guy

twg said...

This is why I changed my template. Sucks.

Mike Wilson said...

That is one thing I've thought of, that this older-than-dirt template might be incompatible with Blogger's built-in commenting feature. If so, I face a conundrum; the convenience of a more up-to-date template or the virtue of refusing to deface The Secret Base merely to conform with the edicts of remote, unaccountable masters?

twg said...

Well, visible comments or old template, really, is the question.

Mike Wilson said...

Visibility v. old template is just the nuts and bolts, the heart of the matter is convenience v. conformity.

brenda cox giguere said...

Best of luck in sorting this out, Mike.

How's the facial hair progressing... or should I say, hairs?

b

http://brendagiguere.blogspot.com