Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Magnificent Moustache Malarkey
Day 21: Wax experimentation continues. I've discovered how much wax is too much; now, by trial and error, I'm diving how much is the minimum necessary. I've been playing with straight lines, but have on the experiment docket the gull wing (inverted), the right angle, and the closed loop, though it must be noted that the ends of the moustache curl pretty well on their own. (I know, and the B.B.B. II & M.M.M. have reconfirmed, that my facial hair is curly; I hope that my head hair is still curly, though I'm not curious enough to grow it out long enough to check.) I'll try to have a new round of photographs taken tomorrow, having made the decision to proceed photographically with the X-700 only. Now that I have my analog darling back, there's no reason to continue subjecting myself to the capriciousness of my father purely for the sake of his digital camera. I was happy to help The Impossible Ingenue, but if only I'd had the X-700 during Bonsai's Revenge! Curses! No good deed goes unpunished.

Moustache Hero
A new feature of The Secret Base's coverage of the Malarkey: Moustache Heroes, a series of brief tributes to magnificently moustachioed men that will span the remaining month of the M.M.M., one hero per week. Ladies and gentlemen, the moustache of M. Hercule Poirot. Behold!


David Suchet as Poirot

That Poirot is a fictional character is neither here nor there, for 'twas Dame Agatha's writing that convinced me of the superiority of the British/Commonwealth English moustache over our American English mustache. Interestingly, Poirot is never described as having a moustache, always moustaches, plural (?).

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Andy Findon, "The Belgian Detective" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

1 comment:

brenda cox giguere said...

Yes, I noticed Agatha Christie referred to them as "moustaches". I figure it's sort of like "sideburns", even though the two sides of a moustache are usually joined.

And then we have "pants" and "trousers"...

Fun stuff. And Poirot is the perfect beginning to your series.