Friday, September 9, 2011

The Girls of September '79
Happy birthday to Mrs. Blinky (née Ham 'n' Eggs)! I recently learned that Mrs. Blinky does not recall the innumerable recesses during elementary school during which she & her cohort, L.L., pursued me around the playground at venerable old McGrath Elementary, maniacally crying out, "Mister Wiiiillllllson!" à la Dennis the Menace. I suppose that makes sense, since the chase was no doubt not nearly as traumatic for her as 'twas for me. I have no idea what horrible fate I imagined would befall me if they caught me, but I know that when I was running from them I was running like the Devil. Happy birthday, Emma!

Happy (Belated) Birthday!
For at least the second time in the last four years, let me wish a belated "Happy birthday!" to Doctor Hee Haw, my favorite part of the whole benighted State of Florida. I shall strive my utmost to be more prompt next year, Doc, but I'm not going to lie to you by guaranteeing this never happens again. Happy birthday, Seth!

Code Name: CHAOS
Mayhap I was still thinking about the halcyon days on the playground at McGrath, to which we took Where's Teddy? during his visit around my birthday, but I initially mistyped Dr. Hee Haw's code name as "Doctor See Saw." Ha! Though I'm pretty sure seesaw is one word…

The Stars My Destination
The investigation into the failure of a Russian Soyuz rocket has, it is claimed, identified (& corrected?) the fatal defect: Space Cowboys-link. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on the deadline for the crew of astronauts & cosmonauts to abandon the International Space Station (I.S.S.); the deadline is driven by the expiration date of the Soyuz return capsules/escape pods. The streak of eleven consecutive years of I.S.S. occupancy is in peril, to say nothing about the peril to the crew. My sincerest hope is that the flaw in the Muscovite rocket has been found & will be remedied because, no matter how horrifying N.A.S.A. Administrator Charles Bolden's plan is, our Russian partners are the only possible way to get astronauts & cosmonauts into & out of orbit. Godspeed to them & to the crew of the I.S.S.

On a related note, I miss former Administrator Michael Griffin & his ardent advocacy for expanding rather than dwindling America's manned spaceflight capabilities. *resigned sigh*

He's Dead, Jim | Project GLOWWORM
I was initially uncertain if the brushing of my pearly whites should be regarded as a medical/health pursuit ("He's Dead, Jim") or a personal grooming/style activity (Project GLOWWORM). The dual title is not the product of indecision but the realization that toothbrushing falls within both spheres. On to business: the most irksome aspect of using an electric toothbrush is when it runs out of juice partway through a brushing cycle, *grumble grumble*. Also, land o' Goshen, my toothbrush takes forever & a day to recharge!

2 comments:

Dr. Hee Haw said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Mike. I'm honored to be your favorite part of Florida, although how I could have ever replaced University of Miami football is hard to imagine...

In seriousness, I hope all is well.

Mike Wilson said...

Other things I like in Florida include Less Than Jake, Burn Notice, Senator Rubio, & the Pensacola Naval Air Station (amongst other duties, the home o' the Blue Angels). Things I dislike about Florida include pretty much everything else.