Friday, May 4, 2012

Project MERCATOR
Yesterday, Jojo picked me up in her brand-new (to her) motorcar, the Chelsea, & we motored to McFarlen Library. There is a nature trail behind the library & we hiked it with gusto. Early on, Jojo spied a blue bird & drew my attention; not being an ornithologist, I cannot provide any additional identifying information other than to say it was predominantly blue & appeared to have some white on its tail. Not long after this, we saw another hiker approaching us. I adopted the voice of a television naturalist & narrated the fellow's approach, telling Jojo that it was important not to spook a human, as they are skittish creatures. Spying the fellow's red T-shirt I commented upon the human's "bright plummage" as he passed us by, a look of mild confusion upon his face. I was utterly composed, being naturally theatrical, but Jojo was on the verge of uproarious laughter. As we watched the fellow go slowly on his way, he hesitantly turned about & said tremulously, "Have a nice hike." I thanked him & wished him the same, & then we were off on our way. I hope I didn't disturb the poor fellow, I was only trying to add a bit of fun to everyone's day. In any event, this further cemented my reputation as a comic genius in Jojo's eyes.

The late afternoon was not quite as hot & humid as I'd feared, & there was blessed shade on some portions of the trail, but between the heat, the death rays of the Accursed Sun, & the exertion I was soon sweating like a Wilson. Onward & onward we pushed, farther along the loop of the trail than I'd ever gone on my own occasional forays into the nature preserve. Of course, we were still in the heart of Grand Blanc & from time to time would see houses & backyards through the trees to our right or left. We discussed the troubles Jojo's recently had, being stabbed in the back en masse by some false friends, one of the seemingly unavoidable perils of the transition from childhood to adulthood. We joked & laughed & we generally reminded of how much we enjoy each others company. By the time we returned to the Chelsea & Jojo rolled down the windows to let the motorcar cool down before we reentered, I felt as if I'd taken a second dose of my daily exercise. We partook of the perfect restorative on a hot summer's day in Grand Blanc, Ziggy's, my treat since Jojo had been kind enough to drive. I had a single scoop of Superman, & did not make a mess of myself with a waffle cone for the first in, literally, years. Woot! 'Twas rather a perfect summer outing.

Project GLOWWORM
The oddest part about my new Objective SCHWEDEN wardrobe is The Interpreter's reaction to my informing her that I'd be wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt for protection against the Accursed Sun's death rays. She remarked that I'd "melt." I received a similar response in the summer of '11 when I started wearing a long-sleeved T-shirt to mow the lawn & perform other yard work. Out of what material are these people under the impression long-sleeved T-shirts are made? A long-sleeved T-shirt isn't a parka! My short-sleeve-loving credentials are unassailable; my first two tattoos aren't on my upper forearms so that they can be obscured by long sleeves. But at my elephantine bulk a brisk walk for exercise or a more plodding pace behind a no-longer-self-propelled lawnmower is going to generate a lot of heat, resulting in perspiration; I admit that a long-sleeved shirt will generate marginally more perspiration, but any additional discomfort will be more than mitigated by the lack of sunburn discomfort. I'm going to be hot & sweating like a Wilson either way; so, I might as well not be burnt to a crisp.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Fountains of Wayne, "All Kinds of Time" from Welcome Interstate Managers (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"He thinks of his mother,
He thinks of his bride-to-be,
He thinks of his father,
His two younger brothers,
Gathered around the widescreen T.V."

Bonus S.O.T.D.

The Skatalies, "James Bond Theme" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: This bonus Song of the Day in memoriam Lloyd Brevett (1931-2012): Requiescat in pace-link.

No comments: