Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Science!
The iceman bleedeth: hæmoglobin-link. No one will ever be able to solve "the world's oldest murder mystery," but it is fascinating to think that the techniques used to locate blood samples from the so-named "Ötzi" (or, "Oetzi," for those who, like the Germanophobic B.B.C., disdain umlauts) might have practical applicability to modern criminal investigations. Keep up the good work, research for research's sake!

Science!

From the article hyperlinked above I was also able to learn that hemoglobin may be spelt haemoglobin or hæmoglobin. Huzzah! I love to discover new & interesting, & still correct, spellings of words, especially if they involve the use of an increasingly rare ligature like "æ." As The Aquabats! said, "There's so much to learn!"

Objective SCHWEDEN
Day two was a success, though I fear I underestimated my old enemy, the Accursed Sun. The sky was cloudy, but the clouds were not as thick as they were yesterday; I saw that for myself via the higher light level, but I didn't draw the proper conclusions from what I saw. My forehead is a wee bit sunburnt. For tomorrow's brisk walk, yesterday's & today's headband will be replaced with my pith helmet & yesterday's & today's fancy-pants "Duo Dry" workout shirt will be replaced with a long-sleeved T-shirt. There will undoubtedly be some compromise in comfort, but this will be more than outweighed by the gains in protection against the death rays of the Accursed Sun. I won't again underestimate my ancient foe.

Autobahn
This afternoon I drove my father to his favorite mechanic's, where his Corvette had been stored for the winter (our attached garage being unavailable for the purpose due to housing his Camaro [1985, I.R.O.C.-Z], which hasn't run since he began an engine replacement project in the 20th century & will never run again, I'd wager). At the I-475/I-69 interchange we saw an S.U.V. overturned in such a way that we both assumed the driver had been exiting I-475 toward eastbound I-69 & at the last second (too late, as evinced by the overturning) tried to switch to westbound I-69. Thereafter ensued a confab about driving itself, & the marvel that many more persons aren't killed annually in motorcar collisions. Think about how complex a task piloting a motorcar is, think about how well most persons are able to carry out that task even when not paying full or undivided attention, & think about how fast everything happens when one is piloting a motorcar. Before, say, A.D. 1850, when had a Homo sapiens sapiens ever traveled (relative to the Earth, which is hurtling through the heavens at a mind-numbing speed) faster than forty-five miles an hour? Nothing in our species's evolutionary path prepared us to navigate, much less pilot, at any rate faster than a horse's gallop. Why is my brain capable of processing stimuli & making decisions as Lumi the Snow Queen flies along at speeds in excess of seventy miles per hour? What use could that processing ability have been to our forebears, scratching out a miserable existence in the Serengeti? A puzzlement, 'tis.

No comments: