Monday, August 5, 2013

Project MERCATOR
The Loose Ties (sans frontman Phil) performed at the Local yesterday, a rare Sunday show. I also saw my pal Mister Luck's hip-hop group Bro-Bot & the comedic heavy metal band PleThorA. After I skanked my fat arse off during The Loose Ties' set, one of Bro-Bot's fan/friends called me "the life of the party." (My inclination is to quip, "Clearly, the lad has not been to enough parties," but I'm working on accepting compliments gracefully instead of being so boorish as to belittle myself immediately upon receiving kind words of praise.) In the moment, I thanked the lad.

"Ska, ska, ska…"

The Rebel Black Dot State Song of the Day
John Linnell, "Maine" from State Songs, Vol. 1 (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Grandma & Grandpa Wilson, may they rest in peace, had a cabin in Maine, on the shores of Rangeley Lake. Brother-in-L.A.W. hails from Maine & The Squeak & Benno have often & in future will often visit their paternal grandparents in Maine. So, Maine isn't just about grandparents, it's about paternal grandparents.

"Relaxing my my hands and knees,
Relaxing on my face,
Reclining in the bear trap
Of its tender, warm embrace,
Blessed with coniferous green!
Blessed with excitement and dread!
Exhausted from oversleep,
Awake but still in bed.

"Shaving razor's rusty
But the sting brings you exactly back to—

"Maine! is the world that went south,
Maine! is a punch in the mouth,
Maine! at the top of the chart
Has crushed my evil heart.
Maine! is the devil you know,
Maine! is the heaven below…

"Maine! is the poison you love,
Maine! is the hell from above,
Maine! at the top of the chart
Has crushed my evil heart."

Bonus!
Sonntag, 4 August
Less Than Jake, "The Life of the Party Has Left the Building" from GNV FLA (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: