Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Nirvana, "Come As You Are" from Nevermind (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The R.B.D.S.O.T.D. was meant to be "Little Brown Jug" as performed by the University of Michigan Marching Band, on the occasion of Michigan hosting Minnesota in men's basketball. (The valiant Wolverines & the luckless Golden Gophers vie for the Little Brown Jug, the oldest rivalry trophy in collegiate sport, in football.) That was a cerebral R.D.B.S.O.T.D. selection, made yesterday. This morning, as I repeatedly depressed the "snooze" button on my alarm clock, drifting in that pleasant, fuzzy state 'twixt slumber & wakefulness, "Come As You Are" started running through my head/the last vestiges of my dreams. That is a visceral R.B.D.S.O.T.D. selection, the choice not of my intellect (or, in your author's case, the secondhand difference engine that suffices in the stead of an actual intellect) but of the ever-mysterious muse. I love visceral choices, love their spontaneity & their snapshot of my Zeitgeist, but I also love cerebral choices, their deliberateness & their reflection of careful scheming. Plus, the muse doesn't always sing, or I can't always hear her. Visceral R.B.D.S.O.T.D. are great, but they are sporadic.

"Come as you are, as you were,
As I want you to be…"

No comments: