Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Operation ÖSTERREICH

Weekly Wednesday Weigh-in
Last week: 338.2 lbs
This week: 335.2 lbs.
Difference: -3.0 lbs.

There was no difficulty in acquiring a reading this morning. I am striking the very same stance I always have, to the best of my ability. So the gains—that is, losses—of the last two weigh-ins might just be genuine. I am having the devil of a time keeping my pants up, even with my belts tightened as never before. Onward!

Perchance to Dream | Project GLOWWORM
I had a nightmare this morning, in which a cheek-shaving mishap lead to the demise of the flying wing on the right side of my moustache. On the left side I had my familiar & treasured handlebar, but on the right side I was reduced to a chevron (think Tom Selleck's moustache from Magnum, P.I.). Zounds! Thank Heaven 'twas only a dream!

This past weekend, repeated reference was made to my having a "hipster" moustache. To my credit, I did not visit violence upon the offending speaker, however much he deserved to have his skull bashed in with a crowbar.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
"Weird Al" Yankovic, "White & Nerdy" from Straight Outta Lynnwood (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Charles C. W. Cooke, writing on the current popularity of "nerd" culture: "Which is to say that [these nerds] are not actually nerds but the popular kids indulging in a fad." I've been a nerd my entire life: I was picked on in elementary school for earning high marks. My first live concert was "Weird Al" Yankovic. I've been to more than one Star Trek convention. In high school, a girl lied to get out of going to the prom with me. I well understand why Kurt Cobain was so distressed when exactly the sorts of preppy monsters who had tormented him in his youth started showing up to Nirvana concerts, pretending to like & understand his music. Today's "nerds" aren't nerds at all; I suppose after all this time I should be more used to them ruining everything, even being a nerd.

"Only question I ever thought was hard
Was, Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?…"

No comments: